Heart Healthy Meals with Hatch Chile
In recognition of American Heart Month, let’s talk about how Hatch chile can be used to support our daily nutritional needs. Hatch red and green chile is a wonderful and flavorful addition to a heart-healthy diet, but people often wonder how to add it to a diet designed to decrease the risk of heart disease.
- Eggs are a great pairing with Hatch red and green chile. Whether you enjoy them over easy, poached, boiled, sunny side up, or scrambled, eggs and chile complement one another beautifully.
- Whole grain toast with avocado and chopped red and green chile is another great heart-smart breakfast pairing.
- Healthy breakfast meats like chicken or turkey sausage enjoy a delectable makeover when you add red sauce.
- Sandwiches on whole grain bread with lean meats are wonderful with green chile added.
- Make a healthy taco salad with lean meats, tomato, avocado, corn, and Hatch red and/or green chile.
- Chopped Hatch red and green chile is a terrific addition to a turkey wrap, especially with avocado and tomatoes.
- Hatch green chile is an excellent topping for turkey burgers, pork loin, and pork chops.
- Add Hatch chopped green chile or red sauce to soups and stews.
- Liven up cooked chicken breast by pan-searing, then adding Hatch chopped red and green blend.
- Add Hatch green chile to lighter mashed potatoes—you won’t even miss unhealthier ingredients with the added flavor of chile.
- Chopped red or green chile or even red sauce is a great accompaniment to grain-free tortilla chips.
- Hatch red or green chile powder adds a tasty kick to popcorn.
Looking for vegetarian options?
- Stuff portabella mushrooms with onions, corn, beans, cheese, and spices. Top with Hatch red or green chile after pulling them out of the oven
- Top black bean tacos with Hatch chopped green chile or red sauce.
- Add Hatch green or blend chile to bean soup.
- Combining honey and red sauce creates a terrific glaze when roasting vegetables.
Did you know that you can even add chile to desserts?
- Add ¼ cup of chopped Hatch chopped green chile to your favorite healthier apple pie recipe. The bite of the green chile pairs beautifully with the sweetness of the apples.
- Chopped Hatch green chile can liven up chocolate chip cookies.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of Hatch chopped green chiles to lighter version peach pie or peach cobbler.
- Hatch red chile is great in chocolate recipes—from chocolate mousse to chocolate cake, try sprinkling some Hatch red chile powder for a delightful kick.
How you can use Hatch chile in a heart-healthy diet is only limited to your imagination. Between the beautiful flavor and the delightfully spicy kick, chile can be used to give many foods a little something extra when you’re removing unhealthy ingredients. The great thing is that it doesn’t matter whether you love hot green and red chile, or if you prefer to keep it mild—you can tailor recipes to your needs because Hatch chile is available in mild, medium, and hot.
Laura Glenn Combs is a customer service representative for The Fresh Chile Company. She has enjoyed studying Nutrition and Health Sciences both academically and personally over the past 20 years. She and her husband have loved life (and Hatch Chile!) in New Mexico for the past 18 years, and deeply appreciate having the opportunity to raise a family in the Land of Enchantment.