- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 8 oz pasteurized crab meat, lump, or backfin
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, minced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1-1/2 tablespoons
- 2/3 cup Mozzarella
- 4 tbsp Xtra Hot Pure Green Chile
- Dash of Hatch Spice Blend
- Sprinkle of Tajín seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Remove the stems from the portobello caps, dice them and add to a mixing bowl.
- Using a spoon, scrape the gills from the mushrooms, brush the caps clean and arrange them on the prepared baking pan.
- Season each mushroom cap with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the crab, panko, onions, garlic, thyme, chile, and lemon juice to the chopped mushroom stems.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese and add the remainder to the crab mixture.
- Combine gently and season to taste with salt and pepper before stirring in the beaten egg.
- Divide the stuffing between the mushrooms and compress gently to form a slight mound.
- Bake until the crab mixture is set and light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top each mushroom with a portion of the remaining cheese and bake for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with lemon wedges and a dash of hot sauce if desired.
Recipe by Joe Garcia from the Fresh Chile Cookin' group.
Fresh Chile customers submitted the following recipes. As home cooks, they have only provided the following instructions. Please note that some recipes do not contain exact measurements. We encourage you to use our products with as little or as much as you would like to experience. Happy Cooking!